Tuesday 12 March 2013

Connections

In honour of Irish Short Story Month on The Reading Life blog I have been trying to track down a copy of any of William Trevor's short stories, so far without success.

I stopped by one of my favourite secondhand bookshops, Graham York Rare Books in Honiton and I scoured the shelves of the Killerton secondhand book barn, but both visits yielded nothing.

The reason I want to read one of Mr Trevor's stories in particular is very simple. William Trevor lives in Devon and has agreed to be one of the patrons of the Crediton Community Bookshop.  This wonderful project came about when one of the few remaining independent bookshops in Devon was due to be sold.  A local group is raising money through a share offer in order to keep the shop open for and hopefully soon to be owned by the community.  Reader, author and storytelling events are planned and it is proposed to showcase local writers as well as guidebooks to the area. Having purchased a couple of shares in the Community Bookshop I am waiting to see whether the full amount needed will be raised.  I sincerely hope so.


4 comments:

  1. Do you know the wonderful 2nd-hand bookshop in the unlikely little village of Bere Alston, south of Tavistock? The shop front is deceptive: it extends and extends and extends ... and stocks almost everything! I've bought some o-o-p and very esoteric books there, and he has a good local section.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roselle. We are holidaying at home this summer so I will put it on my list of places to visit!

      Delete
  2. Hi Sarah
    I found your site through your comment on Roselle's blog. How I love books!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angela and thank you for following the blog. It's a bit hit and miss at the moment and rather scary when people actually start reading. But I really enjoy the blogs that I follow and as someone else commented it's a useful way of keeping track of books that I have read!

      Delete